Monday, June 19, 2006

New job

Today I started a new job at the Public Appointments Service, which recruits for the public sector in Ireland. I'm a Clerical Officer on the Garda and Prison Officer Recruitment section. It's only the first day, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm suppossed to be doing yet, but I'm sure that will become clearer later in the week. My colleagues seem nice, which is good. Hopefully there will be a bit of craic.

First impressions so far are good, but like all of my previous jobs, I'm sure the novelty will soon wear off and the boredom will set in. However, this is the first permanent job I've had since I returned to Ireland nearly 2 years ago, so at least I now have some job security. Also, it's doesn't look like it will be too taxing, so I can concentrate on my Masters, which I will be discussing in a future post - the World Cup keeps getting in the way!

4 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

congratulations. But remember - the civil service is not so much a job for life as a life sentence.

20 June, 2006 23:28  
Blogger Kealo said...

I thought I had already served my time after spending 5 years in the British Civil Service, but a disastrous, but thankfully shortlived, TEFL career and a series of shite temp jobs has seen me return to Civil Service.

23 June, 2006 19:17  
Blogger Paul said...

Prison officers and guards? You're no good to me so. Do you know anyone in there who can get me a gig as Oireachtas Report watcher-in-chief or secretary-general of the Department of Lying in Bed All Day for a huge salary?

Esoterically yours,

Paul

27 June, 2006 18:59  
Blogger Kealo said...

I like the sound of the second one- I think I'll go it myself! You can have the first, OK? I don't know why I put in a link for the PAS. It's not as if they do anything really interesting. I think I wanted to show off my 'umble HTML skills.

27 June, 2006 22:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home