Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Shortest Song In The World

Appearing on Napalm Death's first album Scum, 'You Suffer' is in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's shortest song. Clocking in at exactly 1.316 seconds, it consists of the almost incomprehensible lyrics, "You suffer, but why?".

I have Scum somewhere in my album collection, but I haven't listened to it in years. I remember not liking it, preferring their more metal-influenced releases, such as Harmony Corruption. Being a complete metalhead at the time, I bemoaned the lack of catchy riffs, the frequent blastbeats and the manic vocals. However, I remember being amused by song titles, such as 'Life?', 'Human Garbage' and my favourite 'C.S. (Conservative Shithead)'. I didn't particularly like their second album From Enslavement To Obliteration either, but when listening to it more recently, I thought it was quite good.

As I've got older, I've got more and more into punk and its related sub-genres - grindcore in this case. Strange, huh? Although I like a good tune like most people, I actually prefer music that goes against the grain and is abrasive and discordant.

I must dig Scum out and give it a good listen.

3 Comments:

Blogger SgGooner said...

Hey Kealo!

SgGooner here. You know, we share the same fav team in Arsenal, but my most fav band is U2... You like them?

Anyway, thanks for coming by my blog...

Arsenal 3 - 0 Watford
Just like we predicted. Hahaha...

14 October, 2006 17:38  
Blogger Kealo said...

Hi SgGooner,

It's good to see there are plenty of Gooners around the world. I'll be viewing your blog regularly.

I'm more into punk, metal and alternative rock. However, I like early U2. War is a great album.

I thought we'd win comfortably today. Watford are going straight down. They're muck! I only caught bits of the match on the net. I tried to watch it on PPMate, but it didn't work properly. Ah well, I catch the highlights later.

14 October, 2006 18:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty certain Lawnmower Deth's "Fuck Off" is less than a second.

01 November, 2006 12:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home