Sunday, October 01, 2006

My Lucky Number's BBC4

I watched an old Lene Lovich gig on BBC4 on Friday night (well, early Saturday morning). It was taken from a series badly titled Rock Goes To College and hosted by a guy who looked like Noel Edmonds's younger brother. This gig was at Liverpool University way back in 1979. I don't know much of her stuff apart from 'Lucky Number' (excellent song) and I wasn't too bothered about some of it, but that could have been down to poor sound. However, I liked her crazy getup - I can see where goths got their inspiration - and the faces she pulled. She even played the saxophone on a couple of songs. I also liked the creepy shaven headed (unusual for the late 1970s/early 1980s) bloke on guitar.

I don't know if BBC4 are planning to show more of Rock Goes To College, as it looks quite good. The programme showed the likes of AC/DC (with Bon Scott), the Boomtown Rats, and Siouxsie and the Banshees among others performing at universities and polytechnics (as they were back then) the length and breadth of Britain.

2 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

I can't make up my mind whether Lene Lovich is some kind of novelty weirdo or a post-punk avant gardist like the Flying Lizards who made it big.

01 October, 2006 23:00  
Blogger Kealo said...

I'm not sure myself, but I would probably say the former!

03 October, 2006 23:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home