Sunday, July 02, 2006

Get fucked Brazil!


I know it may sound spiteful, but I'm glad Brazil have been knocked out. Merci, France! I've never been a fan of theirs. OK, I'll admit that the 1970 World Cup winning team of Pelé, Jairzinho and Carlos Alberto, and the 1980s team which included Zico and Socrates were great and played an attractive, attacking style of football. However, I think they have dined out on that reputation. They bored their way to the title in 1994 (winning it on penalties) and won it four years ago without facing any serious opposition (beating a terrible German side in the final). Also, I can't stand that goofy twat Ronaldinho or the tubby, gap-toothed Ronaldo.

They entered this year's World Cup as hot favourites and everyone was practically salivating when they were about to play their first match against Croatia. Did they deliver? No. They narrowly beat them 1-0 thanks to a fine goal by Kaká. I also thought they were fortunate to beat Australia. They beat Japan in their last group match, but let's face it, Japan are shit. A 3-0 victory in their second round clash with Ghana flattered them greatly. But for some poor finishing by the West Africans, the game would have been a lot closer.

And so to the quarter-final against France. They were poor. Both Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were anonymous, particularly the latter. From what I remember, Barthez only had one save to make. In the second half, Thierry Henry met a superb cross by Zinedine Zidane to sidefoot the ball into the net to give France the victory.

This match showed Brazil for what they really are: average. They are nothing like their predecessors, but instead are a bunch of overpaid, arrogant cockfarmers - thanks, Ian - that think they just have to show up to win a game. I hate the way everyone adopts them as their favourite team because they play 'great football'. No they do not. They have won the World Cup five times, so it's time to give someone else a chance, although three of the four semi-finalists have already won it, so now I guess I'll have to support Portugal!

Strong stuff, I know, but I just had to get this one off my chest.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you been drinking ?
He he.
But the Portugal game was hardly a resounding thrashing that you'd expect any potential victor to deliver. Bored me anyways...and I'm English. But then mostly caus watching footy is boring (although not as bad as cricket ;)

02 July, 2006 18:55  
Blogger ian said...

I took against Brazil early on, because I got very sick of hearing about how they were going to win from everyone.

Now I am gutted that the Germans are out, if only because I was looking forward to a whingey post from Momus on Click Opera when they won.

05 July, 2006 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home