Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Randomist


I'm going to see Ross Noble this Thursday at the Olympia. I saw him live in Manchester three or four years ago and have seen him on the tellybox several times. I think he's one of the funniest stand-up comedians around. Like the Big Yin, Noble goes off on tangents; however, he rarely goes back to where he started off. A lot of it is improvised and is complete bollocks, but I quite like surrealistic comedy, so I'm looking forward to it. The link I've added is a segment of a show he did for telly a couple of years ago. Meat hinges, eh? It had me in stitches.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kealo said...

The gig was good, although it wasn't as good as the first time I saw him. There were a lot of annoying teenagers in the audience who laughed uncontrollably at everthing Noble said, which was off putting.

I felt he got too distracted by hecklers. Of course, a good stand up comedian will bounce off a heckler, which Noble does to good effect. However, not everything they said or he responded to was funny, and it took up a lot of the show.

That being said, Noble is still very funny and can still make the bizarre, surreal and the downright daft hilariously funny. I literally cried with laughter when he told the story of a child being bummed in the face by an enraged baboon at a zoo!

24 September, 2006 13:37  
Blogger Kealo said...

I forgot to mention that I heckled a heckler. Noble was expaining how there wasn't a sport that had been invented yet that couldn't be improved by the introduction of a live hippo. He went on about this for a few minutes and members of the audience repeatedly shouted "Mary Harney". Eventually Noble asked who she was, to which one ignoramus replied that she was the Taoiseach. I interjected with, "she's the Tánaiste, you muppet!" This was met by a few laughs from those around me. However, Mr. Noble didn't hear me, which is probably just as well, as it would no doubt have been painful to hear him try to pronounce it and then explain what it meant.

24 September, 2006 17:06  
Blogger Kealo said...

It turns out I was as ignorant as that fuckwad. I hadn't heard that Harney had stepped down as Tánaiste and Michael McDowell had taken over. Well, I had been in Thailand plotting a coup at the time, you know!

28 September, 2006 23:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home