Saturday, November 04, 2006

A Road To Somewhere


I've never learnt to drive. I never felt the need to until now. When I turned 30 recently, I decided to pull my finger out.

In Ireland, one must successfully complete a Driver Theory Test before applying for a provisional licence. This is designed to test a learner driver on his/her knowledge of the Rules of the Road, and to make him/her a better driver in the future. I did a bit of revision, but not that much. Most of the questions require you to use your common sense. However, there are some, such as stopping distances, that you just have to learn.

Clare and I did the test this morning (at 9.00!) at the test centre on Dublin's Parnell St. I was probably the oldest person taking the test today. The test involved answering 40 questions randomly generated from a bank of 1,250. In order to pass, you have to get 35 correct - that's a pass mark of 87.5%!

We both passed: we both answered 36 correctly. Time to crack open the champagne.

1 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

One day I will be upgraded, and then I will be the oldest person ever to take the driver theory test.

04 November, 2006 23:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home