Thursday, November 01, 2007

This week I've been mostly listening to... Crass

This is a band whose name I'd heard bandied about for years, but had never actually heard. A few weeks ago, I bought their 1979 release Stations of the Crass. I was pleasantly surprised at how they're not quite what I expected. I always thought they were in the mould of hardcore punks Discharge (whom I also like), but Crass (on this album at least) are quite avant-garde, almost post-punk at times.

There are twenty-four tracks on the album (although some are live versions of those already present), so I haven't got to grips with it completely yet. However, two stand out: 'White Punks On Hope' where they set out their anarchist stall, and 'Walls', which is driven by a thumping bassline and has female vocals. I'll be certainly checking them out further.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home