Sunday, July 15, 2007

Desmond Dekker: 'The Israelites'

This is actually a much faster version from 1980. While I like the original as well, this version has undoubtedly been influenced by the two tone ska that was popular at the time.

I've been listening to song over and over, I like it that much - and annoying my wife in the process! I love uptempo beat and chunky bass line. I love the fact that as Dekker's Jamacian accent is so strong, I can only make out, "the Israelite". I had to look up the lyrics on the internet to decipher the rest.

I've been listening to The Specials a lot recently. What initially attracted me to them and other two tone outfits were their punk influences, but I'm beginning to like the reggae elements more and more.

4 Comments:

Blogger ian said...

Being old, I remember The Specials from back then, but was still young enough to only remember them when they were on Top of the Pops. The big thing for me was when 'Ghost Town' was number one - it really captured the apocalyptic feel of the times.

15 July, 2007 11:26  
Blogger Kealo said...

I'm old enough to remember them too. Only just, though!

15 July, 2007 11:46  
Blogger Andrew Sherman said...

I like the studio audience. They are really going for it.

16 July, 2007 17:06  
Blogger Paul said...

I've got some reggae for you Kealo.

19 July, 2007 02:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home