Monday, November 06, 2006

Film: Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Jagshemash! This was the third film I had seen in a month, which is really good for me, as I don't go as often I'd like. We saw it at the Savoy, a charming cinema on Dublin's O'Connell St. I like the place. It's got real character unlike a lot of the soulless cineplexes on the outskirts of the city.

Anyway, back to the film. Arguably Sach Baron Cohen's funniest creation, Borat did not disappoint. It's one of the funniest films I've seen for a long time. The plot involves Borat travelling around the USA making a documentary about its people and customs for his native Kazakhstan. Along the way he encounters various people who believe that Borat is a foreign television correspondent with no understanding of American customs or culture. They try to enlighten him and deal with the embarassing situation he has placed them in.

One could argue that Borat is a racist and ignorant portrayal of Kazakhs and other Central Asians. However, I don't think it's a case of laughing a foreigner, but at the more at the ignorance and hypocrisy of those he meets. He is rabidly anti-Semtitic and mysoginistic and he often elicits casual racist or sexist comments from others. The humour works beacuse most of his victims are unaware that it's not real and they and most of the audience probably haven't heard of Kazakhstan. Some of the situations are so cringe-inducing, I had to watch them through my hands. However, it's a hilarious film and well worth watching. I LIKE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home